What new management practices could provide an alternative to the bureaucratic model of top down control and formal rules? Emerging from the contributions to phase 2 of the busting bureaucracy hackathon were the following 8 categories:
- Serve peers and customers - not the boss.
- Break up monolithic structures.
- Give everyone a place at the table.
- Radically expand the scope of employee autonomy.
- Create meritocracies where influence is based on contribution - not credentials.
- Provide open access to real-time information.
- Drive performance through a shared sense of purpose and community.
- Ditch formality.
Read more about the 8 categories in this blog posting by Chris Grams and Michele Zanini.