On this TED blog posting and on this Ushahidi blog posting, I read that Ushahidi launched in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Locals can now report incidents on the Eastern Congo conflict on http://drc.ushahidi.com and/or by sending an SMS to +243992592111.
A few facts about the Democratic Republic of Congo:
* Area: 2.3 Million km2. For global comparison, click here.
* Population: 66.5 Million people.
* GDP per capita: US$ 300. For global comparison click here.
* Life expectancy at birth: 54 years.
* People living with HIV / AIDS: 1.1 Million.
* Number of internet users: 230,400.
* Number of mobile phones: 6.6 Million.
* Number of airports: 237 from which about 11% have paved runways.
* Roadways: 153,497 km. from which about 2% are paved roadways.
* Railways: 5,138 km.
* Natural resources: Cobalt, copper, niobium, tantalum, petroleum, diamonds, gold, silver, zinc, manganese, tin, uranium, coal, hydropower, timber.
* Official language: French.
* President: Mr. Joseph Kabila.